"Mommy my helmet hurts"...


.My first speech in Japanese was very short (2006)


The banquets or "bonenkai" were one of the few opportunities that I got to meet and talk to my player's parents. Interestingly, I was often able to figure out who each of their parents were before being introduced. The school representative laughed as I pointed out most the player's parents correctly because I hadn't met any of them yet.
.

.

. 
   

.You guessed it, another banquet. 
.
For some reason or another in Japan mothers seem to take a more active role with regard to student's extracurricular school activities. I recall one particular banquet when a first year player's mother was trying to explain that her son complained his helmet felt uncomfortable. I feigned concern, trying not to spit out my wine as I knew that her oft absent kid had worn his shiny unbroken-in helmet every bit of two times. This is the same kid who caused us to forfeit games on two different occasions; the first as a result of him pulling a muscle in his untrained leg during warm-ups before a game. The second MIA came when he caught a cold on the Friday BEFORE a Saturday game. Because we'd had only eleven members available prior to his sickness, we were forced to cancel the game.
.
This particular episode took place the lean year when we only had eleven members on the squad. Until that point the seven veteran players had tried be patient with the younger guys and their development. The players were heartbroken because they'd gone months without competition. Not only did this affect our guys, but the other team had prepared for this as well. I wouldn't place the blame entirely on the young man himself, though I'd take a hard look at his parents. Perhaps this even goes back a few generations.

We all know someone who could have benefited from a better foundation of discipline or character. This is one of the reasons I got into the pants kicking business. I realized that what this team needed was a comprehensive and systematic foot in the trousers.


.
.