Game days 動画



Ah, game days 

.



.Pre-game rituals
I'm in the background (hands on hips) trying to give off
the "leave me alone I'm busy" vibe. 

.
Game day is always a hectic time, especially when there's only one coach, me. Taping the players, herding them from one place to another and preparing them for the contest were my main focus. The school representative and the regular alumni were a big help. 
.
At Johoku, the whole game day production itself had to be rehearsed. Despite having a set itinerary three hours before kick-off, there was always a fire to put out somewhere. No matter how detailed and specific you try to be, someone always fumbles. After the physical and logistical preparation, my next biggest concern was getting sixteen or so teenagers to concentrate and focus on the task at hand. I'm not a parent, but now I understand.  
.
I'm kind of intense on game days. I've also been known to be notoriously direct, and even down right grouchy. It seems the closer I get to kick-off, the worse I get. The players and their parents know this, and the regular staff know this. The various strangers that wander onto the sideline just before kick-off are oblivious. I've found that subtle Western nuances like body language and facial expressions often don't register in other countries.
.
Apparently, sports fans can be overly zealous anywhere. I can recall an episode where a Johoku alumnus took it upon himself to come down on the sideline at half-time and draw up a couple of plays on my chalk board. As my players awkwardly watched me watching the interloper, I remember contemplating whether or not a simple assault charge in Japan was worth the trouble. At the time my Japanese was rudimentary, so I opted for a simple "Get the f__k off the sideline" while waving a clenched fist.


.


.
Me to strangers on the sideline five minutes before kick-off: 
.
"You say you used to be a quarterback?"   
"That's nice."
.
"Sir... Would you mind stepping back just a bit?    "Thanks."
.
"You want to take a team photo on the 50 yard line?"   "Now?"
.
"You want to give me some advice?
         "Do I know you?"
.
.
.
Me to players two minutes before kick-off:
.
"Who's blue mouthpiece is this?"
.
"You have to go to the bathroom? Now?"   
"Go ahead.     Run!"
.
"Where is the kicking tee?"    "@#%* damn it! "   
"Where's the kicker?"  
.
"Where is your left shoe?"     
 "Why is your shoe on the train?"

.
.
.
.

.Game day uniform # 1
If we had fifteen or more players on game day this was the uniform.




Game day uniform #2
If we had fourteen or less players on game day this was the uniform (#3)




.Johoku H.S. vs Mikki H.S. (1st half)
I remember starting my football career backing up a 10th grader in 1978.
Thirty years later, on the other side of the world and I'm backing up another 10th grader.
We had only thirteen players suit up that day.
Hyogo, Japan (2009)



.Johoku H.S. vs Mikki H.S. (2nd half)

.

.

.
.After the coin toss
Johoku vs Sotoku 
Hiroshima, Japan (2009)



.Preparing the water before a game
Johoku vs Osaka Minoo
Osaka, Japan (2010)




.After pre-game 
Johoku vs Mikki 
Hyogo, Japan (2009)


.

.
.
.Headed to Kobe by train for a scrimmage (2008) 
I wouldn't advise traveling by train with a team of high school football players
 unless you're a Sheppard. 





.

.



.Packing up after a game in Osaka
 Monster parents usually didn't come to the away games.
Osaka, Japan (2010)



 .There's always a fire to put out somewhere
Koiki Koen - Hiroshima, Japan (2009)


  


.That's it. Five guys on the sideline.



.
.
.